O mankind! Behold, We have created you all out of a male and a female, and have made you into nations and tribes so that you might come to know one another. Verily, the noblest of you in the sight of God is the one who is most deeply conscious of Him. Behold, God is all-knowing, all-aware [Al-Hujurat, 49:13]
Where do I start? Most of Islamic scriptures are in Arabic which is a most complicated language in the world. The complexity of this language is so unique, although that makes it so beautiful.
Now that I am a Muslim, I have to at least know how to pronounce certain words in Arabic. I’m going to need to use this language 5 times a day!
Wondering where to start? There are so many options to consider, including through online courses.
The 5 suggested online tajweed sites:
- Tajweed Made Easy Academy. They have teachers and trainers globally, you can learn how to read the Quran from the basic level. And maybe if you’re ready, you can also sign up to become a teacher yourself. You can also sponsor another student who can’t afford to pay for the fees. Yes, they have fees. Check out their website for details of their courses at http://tmeag.com/
2. Tarteel Quran. Tarteel Quran lets you decide which gender of teacher you’d be comfortable with to learn the Quran. They have interesting lessons that will suit your children and they offer free trial lessons too. Go to their website to find out more: https://www.tarteelequran.com/
3. Al-azhar Quran Teaching. Al-azhar Quran Teaching has offices in the UK, Australia and the USA. They too offer free trial. Their classes include tajweed for beginners and basic Quran reading online. Go to https://alazharquranteaching.com/learn-quran-with-tajweed/ to find out more.
4. Madinah Quran Academy. Just like most online tajweed classes, they too offer free trials. Their class covers both reading the Quran (tajweed) and memorizing the Quran (hafeez). The best part is they offer a certificate at the end of the class. Check it out here: https://madinahquranacademy.com/
5. Quran River. Quran River has more than just tajweed (and Arabic) classes. Other than offering Ijaazah (certificate) with Sanad for Quran, they also have tafseer classes, and Quranic sciences. If you’re ready to go for more than just reading the Quran, they could be your good choice. Their website is http://www.quranriver.com/
6. YouTube Videos. Here’s another option for you if you do not have enough funds to pay for the online courses : you can always learn by following videos from YouTube. The only setback with this option is that it’s a-one-way method. Which means, you can’t get a teacher to correct you if you’re wrong. This can be a temporary solution, but please be serious about learning from a real teacher. Here are a few suggestions for you to consider:
- Quranicarabicwebinar (https://www.youtube.com/user/quranicarabicwebinar)
- Made Easy Series (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6qa1u2UrCF4zowOJ03p5nw)
- Quran Teacher for Kids and Beginners (https://outube.com/user/Nur676767)
- Understand Quran (https://www.youtube.com/user/understandquran/videos)
- LearnTajweed (https://www.youtube.com/user/LearnTajweed)
- HealMyTajweed (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj4W7SklgYjut1r5xiH1xQg)
Now remember, learning the Quranic tajweed is not the same as learning the Arabic language.
Tajweed (Arabic: تجويد tajwīd, IPA: [tædʒˈwiːd], ‘elocution‘) is a set of rules for the correct pronunciation of the letters with all their qualities and applying the various traditional methods of recitation (Qira’at). In Arabic, the term tajwīd is derived from the triliteral root j-w-d (‘to improve’). Tajweed is a compulsory religious duty (fard) when reciting the Quran.
By contrast, the Arabic Language (Arabic: العَرَبِيَّة, al-ʻarabiyyah, [al ʕaraˈbijja] or عَرَبِيّ, ʻarabī, [ˈʕarabiː] or [ʕaraˈbij]) is a Semitic language that first emerged between the 1st to 4th centuries CE. It is now the lingua franca of the Arab world. It is named after the Arabs, a term initially used to describe the people living in the area bounded by Mesopotamia in the east and the Anti-Lebanon mountains in the west, in Northwestern Arabia and in the Sinai Peninsula.
Go and learn to read the Quran!
عَنْ عُثْمَانَ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ عَنْ النَّبِيِّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَالَ خَيْرُكُمْ مَنْ تَعَلَّمَ الْقُرْآنَ وَعَلَّمَهُ
صحيح البخاري كتاب فضائل القرآن باب خيركم من تعلم القرآن وعلمه
Uthman bin Affan reported: The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “The best of you are those who learn the Quran and teach it.”
(Source: Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī 4739, Grade: Sahih (authentic) according to Al-Bukhari)
Know other sites to learn tajweed? Share with us!
sources: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tajwid and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic