Here’s your Guides to Observing Fasting (sawm) At Home, alone.
I’m all by myself, do I still have to wake up for suhoor?
Although it’s not compulsory (wajib / fard) for us Muslims to wake up real early for suhoor, it is sunnah to eat suhoor:
أَكْلَةٌ بَرَكَةٌ فَلَا تَدَعُوهُ وَلَوْ أَنْ يَجْرَعَ أَحَدُكُمْ جَرْعَةً مِنْ مَاءٍ فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ وَمَلَائِكَتَهُ يُصَلُّونَ عَلَى الْمُتَسَحِّرِينَ
“The pre-fasting meal is a blessed meal, so do not abandon it even if you take only a sip of water. Verily, Allah and his angels send blessings upon those who take the pre-fasting meal” (Musnad Aḥmad 11003, Grade: Sahih).
Stop eating suhoor once you hear the Fajr (Subh Prayer) adhan (أَذَان).
- Before you sleep at night, set your alarm so that you’d be able to wake up early for suhoor. Make du’a to Allah, to make it easy for you to wake up for suhoor and to be able to observe fasting.
- Wake up for suhoor, if you have ample time, perform 2 raka’at of voluntary prayer. And then take your dates and drink some water. If you’re the heavy-breakfast type, please consume food moderately.
- Once you hear the call for the Fajr prayer, stop chewing at once. Rinse your mouth, wash your teeth and take the wudu (ablution).
- Perform 2 raka’at of Fajr prayer. If you have the energy, you can perform 2 raka’at of voluntary prayer before the Fajr prayer. Once you completed the Fajr prayer, you can spend time reciting the Quran or memorise some verses.
- Go through your day as you would normally. Pray Zuhr and Asr.
- Prepare you iftar meals after the Asr prayer. Be moderate, especially if you’re eating alone.
- Once you hear the Maghrib adhan, eat your dates and drink some water. You can always start having your dinner before performing the Maghrib prayer. Just don’t take too much time that you’ll miss praying the Maghrib.
- Right after performing the Isha’ prayer, try to perform the taraweeh. If this is your first time, it can be overwhelming. So, go for the least number of raka’at.
- Sleep early, don’t eat too much at night thinking you need to make up for all the food you didn’t take during the day.
- Now repeat the process!